Thursday, July 15, 2010

Don't Eat It........DON'T EAT

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. But I don't have time for picky eaters, Vashon is 3 yrs old now I think that he can basically eat anything we eat within reason. (Of course I'm not going to force him to eat spicy things or things with very bold flavors) But you see I don't even have a toddler that eats like a toddler....Oh I would love if he ate like a toddler. You know nuggets, burgers, etc.

So I started the new rule of Don't eat it, Don't eat! It's very simple, you eat what I give you unless you ask for something different when I say "what do you want for breakfast or lunch?" Dinner is not optional, if you don't eat it....you don't eat. Plain and simple, we go on to the next meal. I believe that Vashon is developmentally ahead to know when he's hungry and if he has to feel the hunger pains of skipping meals before he eats then so be it. I am not a short order cook, I don't have time to play the I want this, no I want that game all day.

There is one exception to the rule - If it's a new item, you have to at least try it. If you try it and you don't like it, I will give you something else but you have to at least try it. So I've been doing this for a few wks now and Vashon has missed many meals, but he has also tried new things and he's expanding his menu of things he will eat.

1 comment:

  1. I found you via babyfit. Our family has what we call the "Thank you bite" rule. They must take one bite and say a meaningful thank you. My nearly 3 year old will try anything, she as all my children are very adventerous in their eating habits...they love spicy and bold foods to the typical kid foods too. Of course just when you think you have it all figured out, they throw out something new for you to figure out!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?????